Bread Pudding is one of Freddy’s favorite desserts. He loves bananas, too, so I created a pudding just for him. He is being careful about his sugar intake so I added NO sugar to this recipe. The bananas are so sweet and the cinnamon so fragrant that there is no need for any sugar. The addition of sliced almonds gives the pudding a little final crunch.
7 cups dry brioche cubes
3 cups whole milk
3 large eggs
3/4 cups heavy cream
1 tablespoon vanilla
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 cup sliced almonds
1 cup golden raisins
pinch of salt
3 tablespoons butter for the baking dish
1. Blend the milk, cream, eggs, 2 bananas, vanilla, cinnamon and nutmeg. Add a pinch of salt.
2. Put the cubed brioche bread, almonds, raisins and a sliced banana in a large mixing bowl.
3. Pour the milk, egg, and banana mixture into the dry ingredients and gently mix.
4. Pour into a a buttered souffle’ or other baking dish and place in a larger baking dish for a water bath baking method.
5. Pour water to half way up the side of the inner pudding dish and place in a 325 degree oven for about an hour
6. Remove when the pudding is cooked and the top is golden. Sometimes I shave a little bittersweet chocolate on the top.
The picture was taken when Freddy and I were in Sicily last year. A very dramatic place we visited was The Valley of the Temples in Agrigento…one of the most important archeological sites in the world.