I am kinda getting ready for Christmas…we are having our party for all the people who work in the vineyard and the winery on Sunday. I have been making all kinds of Christmas candies and cookies and if the weather permits and it should, we will also be having a feast of fresh crab. Before the crab, we will fire up the pizza oven and have a few rounds of pizza first. The candy is something that my mother specialized in making. She was the captain of the St. Vincent’s candy making crew who made English Toffee and chocolate fudge, baked brownies, magic bars and lots of other calorie confections. I have halved her recipe for fudge because the original makes a LOT, and that’s a lot of jogging in your future.
makes 2 1/2 pounds
2 1/4 cups white sugar
1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup butter
12 ounces bittersweet chocolate pieces or chips (I use Guittard)
6 ounces mini marshmallows
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 cup roughly chopped walnuts
1. In a large pot add the sugar, sweetened condensed milk, water and butter. Stir until the mixture boils and makes a soft ball when dropped in a glass of water.(this happens rather quickly)
2. Remove from the heat and add the vanilla.
3. Quickly beat the chocolate and the marshmallows into the mixture until they have dissolved completely. Then add the walnuts and mix thoroughly.
4. Spread the mixture on a slab of marble or a baking sheet and let it cool.
5. After the fudge is completely cooled, cut it into whatever size pieces that you want.