It is only Monday and already I have had too much turkey! I was doing a dry run on preparing the NYTimes dry brine so I prepared a 5 pound turkey breast. So, not only did we have a big turkey dinner, we had sandwiches on Friday and Sunday and today we had turkey soup. I had to promise Freddy that we could have something else this Thursday. We will be in Maui, so we’ll probably have fish of some sort. If I can find some nice fruit like papayas , mangos and pineapples then I will make one of my favorite seafood salads. The dressing alone is delicious enough to drink straight, but it really makes seafood (like lobster) especially wonderful. The ingredients are all fresh and for those of you having turkey, this is a great starter salad. I don’t have a picture of the salad, so I’m posting one of my cat who is not going to Maui with us.
LOBSTER SALAD WITH BLACK PEPPER-VANILLA BEAN DRESSING
. 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
. 1 tablespoon orange juice
. 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
. 1 1/2 teaspoons ground black pepper
. 3 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
. 2 whole vanilla beans
. 1 tablespoon orange zest
. 1 cup olive oil
. 1 teaspoon sugar
. Lobster, cooked, cooled and cut into disks
. fresh island fruits, like pineapple, mango, papaya
. butter lettuce
1. Combine juices.
2. Slit the vanilla beans and gently scrape all the pulp out of the beans and add to the juices.
3. Grind the pepper and add to the juices.
4. Add the vinegar and then slowly drizzle the oil while whisking away.
5. Add the orange zest.
6. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
7. Cut the lobster into disks (or you can use raw ahi, cooked rock shrimp)
8. Make a bed of lettuce and spoon the peeled and cubed fruits.
9. Arrange the lobster on the salad.
10. Drizzle the salad with the dressing.