This is one of the most popular cookies in the history of cookie making. It goes by many names like Russian Tea Cake (my mother), Pecan Puffs(my mother in law) Mexican Wedding Cookies, Sandies and that’s probably just the beginning of the list. Some make them with pecans but because walnuts grow in my area, that’s what I use as did my mother and grandmother.
makes 3 dozen cookies
1 cup butter
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups ground walnuts
about 2 cups powdered sugar for rolling the balls to coat
1. Whip up the butter and add the sugar; whipping until it becomes fluffy. Then add the vanilla.
2. Add the dry ingredients into the vanilla, butter and sugar mixture.
3. In a food processor, pulse the walnuts pretty fine.
4. Mix the walnuts into the dough.
5. Using your hands form the dough into little balls about 1 1/2 inch in diameter.
6. Chill for about 10 minutes.
7. Bake in a 325 degree oven for about 30 minutes. Check to make sure the bottoms don’t burn.
8. Immediately after removing from the oven roll the balls in powdered sugar, completely coating them.
9. Cool, then sprinkle more powdered sugar on them and shake off the excess.