A first course of prosciutto wrapped around fruit like melon is a classic. To make the course a little more playful, I decided to design a pizza that took it’s place. Mangos are sweeter and juicier than melon and paired with prosciutto and cheese make a great starter. The difficulty of serving this pizza is convincing your guests that it is just the beginning of the dinner and they only get one piece!
makes 2 small 12 inch pizzas
- 1 mango, peeled and sliced into long thin slices
- 1/2 cup minced cilantro
- juice of one lime
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions, mostly white part and a little green
- 3 ounces prosciutto
- 1 1/2 ounces shredded asiago, 1 1/2 ounces shredded parmesan, 1 1/2 ounces crumbled sheep feta
- 3 ounces fresh mozzarella
- 2 small pizza doughs, either homemade or purchased from your favorite pizza parlour (like the Cantinetta in St Helena)
1. Mix the sliced mango, minced cilantro, lime juice, olive oil and green onions together.
2. Mix the asiago, parmesan and feta together.
3. Liberally sprinkle half of the cheese mixture over one of the pizza doughs which has been prepared in a nice circle. If your are making 2 pizzas at the same time then just divy up all the ingredients.
4. Place half of the mangoes over the cheese.
5. Arrange half of the prosciutto over the mangoes.
6. Put half of the mozzarella around and over the toppings.
7. Bake in the oven or in an wood fired oven.